SAGA Council action items

From SAGoClubs
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Action items

This page only lists ad-hoc items and items arising from council meetings. You should also consult your portfolio responsibilities.

Archive

The historical and closed items can be seen in the SAGA Council agenda items archive


Agenda items status

Note that more extensive history on various agenda items can be found in old agendas and minutes - feel free to update/elaborate on these items.

No. 1208: SAGA's strategy and financial planning

Pre-April 2013: Draft a strategy for SAGA in consultation with the council and interested members. Initial opinions are on "SAGA long term objectives".

29 April 2013: To get things started, Chris will draft a letter to SAGA members asking for suggestions, and try to get input from clubs as well

15 July 2013: Chris has sent a letter to the SAGA and SAGACouncil mailing lists asking for suggestions, and brought it up at the Cape Town club. He has also encouraged other clubs to discuss it. Plans to prompt at the Cape Town Go club soon again. It was agreed that a good way forward would be to send a summary of proposals and responses around in about 2 weeks, and give another opportunity for feedback with a clear deadline.

7 October 2013: Chris reported that he had made no more progress, but would attempt to do so shortly.

13 Jan 2014: Chris reported that he had made no more progress.

14 July 2014: Chris reported that he had made no more progress.

23 October 2014: No progress from Andrew

22 January 2015: No progress.

1 June 2015: No progress

Action required from: Gordon

No. 909: Soweto initiative

Pre-April 2013: Ben to monitor Sipho's progress with creating an official Soweto club (in progress; first meetings have been held - will keep monitoring). Ben also to liaise with David and Welile about management of Welile's teaching and impact on Soweto Go. David to provide Welile with an SD card for taking pictures on his phone. Treasurer to advise council on impact of financing Welile's teaching from SAGA funds once 2012 draft financials are complete - done. Older data: Proposal at Soweto Schools Proposal waiting on financial statements.

29 April 2013: It was agreed that SAGA's annual income is not sufficient to fund this, but it could possibly currently be funded from the School Project Fund. However, we would like to guarantee co-funding from other sources, if possible, and would only like to do this if we can get sufficient oversight of the project to ensure quality. It was decided that Chris would co-ordinate a working group to try to get this set up. Based on the input of the working group, Chris was given discretion by the council to make a decision on this matter involving spending up to R500/month from the School Project Fund. The working group is to make their final decision by 30 June (but preferably as soon as possible).

In the meantime, it was decided we would cover R500/month of the monies paid to Welile by David Richfield for this project until end of April 2013 - John is to inform David of the decision, and resolve any resulting financial issues.

15 July 2013: Steve reported that he had not reallocated David's tasks yet. Ben was absent, so no progress on his front was assumed. John reported that David was happy with the 50/50 split on historical payments. Chris said he had discussed with David, who was happy to go forward with the current system for the time being. However, from our side there are concerns about oversight. A variety of options were briefly considered (see the transcript for details) - it was decided that we would carry on the current arrangement with David until the end of October 2013, while Chris would investigate options for oversight (with a working group, as appropriate) for urgent resolution by the Council meeting in October 2013, possibly calling for suggestions by email.

16 July 2013: Arnold Wentzel sent the following email:

"I just want to offer an update on the Soweto schools project which may help to clarify some things:

  • We currently have four Soweto schools involved in the programme.
  • I have visited the schools twice since last year and observed the teaching of Welile. I am satisfied that he is doing his job. He keeps a logbook of every lesson, which he gets signed by one of the teachers at the school, so one can verify (to some degree) that the teaching is taking place. The teaching of Welile is informal – mainly he takes out the 13x13 boards and draws one on the blackboard, and lets the children play for about 60-90 minutes. His role seems to be to settle disputes, keep the noise level down (the kids can be quite lively) and offer informal advice on their games. The kids seem to enjoy it, and when I visited we had between 10-15 children coming and going. When I go there they are very eager to challenge me to a game.
  • I am planning a second tournament for schools this year on 29 September. We expect around 60 kids again."

2 September 2013: Steve emailed David; David's only task had been to provide Welile with an SD card - however, now that they have good pictures, he said, this is no longer needed.

7 October 2013: After a fair amount of discussion, it was agreed to continue to fund the Soweto project from the School Project fund at the current level of R500/month - contingent on: -continued matching funding from David -satisfactory reports on the program by Arnold Wentzel every 6 months

Leveraging this program for PR purposes, and soliciting donations to sustain the program were also raised, but no way forward was decided on these fronts.

We need to assign someone to liaise with Arnold.

13 January 2014: Steve reported he has emailed Ben about liaising with Arnold; Arnold has replied with an email which he has not yet read carefully.

13 January 2014: Arnold sent more information to the council mailing list, saying he'll check on the lessons once they start again. Steve to follow up with him for more information about Welile's plans (thread "Liaison with Arnold re Soweto initiative").

31 March 2014: In December 2013, John was drafting a letter requesting Usindiso school to let Welile use a classroom on Saturday's from 10am to 2pm for Go lessons because he will be starting studying for a diploma in Electrical Engineering at SWGC college. Since he will be going to college during the week we propose that the Go lessons be moved to Saturdays. During this time we would like to welcome learners from Usindiso and the nearby schools (Ekuphumeleleni, Thathezakho, Enkolweni and Thembelihle) to come and study Go at Usindiso. It seems that this letter was accepted and the changes implemented from the beginning of the year, without considering whether we should change our funding stance. Then, on 24 March 2014, John reported that David was no longer willing to support the project past Jan 2014. John recommends we support the project until the end of the year. Later that day, David indicated he could support this somewhat with a donation beyond repaying what he owes. John also reported that he had spoken to Welile mid-March 2014, and he currently has "several pupils from three different schools attending." We need to resolve how much we are still willing to contribute to this project - Steve sent another email about this today.

2 July 2014: Steve emailed Ben about liaison with Arnold again. Steve also emailed council about resolving amount to contribute in future, and transferring his responsibilities on this action item to Chris Welsh.

4 July 2014: Ben replied to Steve's email indicating he'd liaise with Arnold.

14 July 2014: Council decided to keep funding Welile at R500 a month until the end of the calendar year 2014. John volunteered to inform Welile of this.

16 July 2014: John communicated this to Welile, who was very unhappy with the decision. He agreed to continue until the end of the year, however.

11 August 2014: Ben indicated that by selling Biltong in Korea, he would be able to raise enough money to continue supporting the project for the entire duration of 2015.

17 August 2014: John said he would not commit this to Welile, but recommended we reevaluate at the beginning of 2015 based on the total donations in this regard at that point.

23 October 2014: Agreement that the sponsorship would end at the end of the year, subject to a donation from Ben (or anyone else). Paul indicated that he would like the program to continue, if possible. Chris said we need to let Welile know as soon as possible. John indicated that he didn't think the system should continue at all, citing the following the reasons:

   affordability for SAGA
   effectiveness
   Welile's suitability as a representative for SAGA
   lack of oversight 

John indicated that Welile was now coaching about 5 kids on a Saturday, so it is more of a club in nature. Chris indicated that this was a nice idea, it's not the intention of the program. John elaborated on why he didn't think Welile was suitable as a representative, but admitted that this was a personal opinion. Chris largely shared John's opinion. Paul said he didn't know much about Welile, and would like to hear from Andrew and Ben in particular on the matter. It was pointed that Arnold is a big supporter of the program, and provides some oversight, albeit not in a structured way. Chris agreed to arrange follow up mails and possibly a special meeting, preferably to resolve this by the end of November.

22 January 2015: Usual lengthy discussion. Consensus on the PR value of the program, but John was no longer willing to support the program. Ben is willing to support the program financially, but overall we agreed the program couldn't continue without some kind of project manager. Chris resolved to contact Arnold in this regard, but until we receive a positive response from Arnold or some other suitable candidate, the project is suspended.

1 June 2015:

No progress

Action required from: Chris

No. 910: Liaison with cultural divisions

Pre-April 2013: President to draft a letter to the various embassies on the wiki, including a reference to their own Go association for non-CJK countries. This would "introduce" ourselves to them, saying we're interested in their activities, and to please keep us informed of anything that might be relevant to us. To be sent by email once drafted. Reference: see the email from Victor Chow to the SAGACouncil mailing list of 12 October 2010.

13 January 2014: Chris reported there had been no progress on this item.

14 July 2014: No progress.

23 October 2014: No progress.

22 January 2015: Andrew has drafted a proposal letter, but no other progress.

1 June 2015: Andrew to send draft to council and to hand item over to Gordon.

Action required from: Gordon

No. 3.11: Access to bank accounts and investments

Pre-April 2013: Treasurer to make a list on the wiki of all the bank accounts and investments controlled by SAGA, and who has signatory rights to them.

7 October 2013: Basic information is available at SAGA Treasurer information, but account numbers and signatories are still missing. We do not want to put these items on the wiki, so they should instead be put in the shared Google Docs folder.

13 January 2014: As discussed in the treasurer's feedback, the plan is to change the signatories when money is withdrawn from the investment account. John will put the other details in the SAGA shared folder.

14 July 2014: No progress.

23 October 2014: No progress

22 January 2015: John identified a cash flow issue with the board purchases. Cheque account is low. John needs access to the investment funds to pay for these books. This is urgent as John has been funding the purchases. Some suggestions were made to find more lucrative funds, and to consolidate the funds. John has an action to get access to the funds, and to find out more about them.

1 June 2015: No progress

Action required from: John

No. 5.11: Policy for SA Closed flights

Old: We need to discuss how to handle flights for future editions of the SA Closed: this involves evaluating the sustainability/desirability of the current system, and how to modify it to ensure sustainability. To make these decisions, we need clarity on our financial position.

Pre-April 2013: Tournament Portfolio to let Contenders and 2012 candidates know that future tournaments might be entirely or partially on the internet. - this is no longer necessary.

29 April 2013: It was decided that we would cover the flights for 2013 (again taking advantage of Victor playing online if he was willing to). However, the flights form a substantial portion of our annual expenses, so it was decided that a decision for future years would be deferred until the completion of agenda item 1208.

7 October 2013: Deferred until the completion of agenda item 1208. Chris was reminded of the dependence of this on item 1208.

13 January 2014: It was agreed we would cover flights for 2014, since this issue has not yet been resolved. Deferred until the completion of agenda item 1208. Chris was reminded of the dependence of this on item 1208.

Waiting for resolution of item 1208.

14 July 2014: No progress.

23 October 2014: Too small a forum to discuss it. Chris agreed to raise an email discussion group about it.

22 January 2015: This is becoming urgent. John pointed out that tournament expenses for 2014 were R7000 but membership fees were R4700. Clearly not sustainable. Some suggestions were made to make it more viable. The action item from last time was for Chris to create a sub-group, this didn't happen, but it should happen now.

1 June 2015: No progress

Action required from: Andrew

No. 7.11: Southern Hemisphere representation at SportAccord World Mind Games

See emails to the SAGACouncil mailing list around 16-19 September 2011 with subject "The SportAccord World Mind Games online tournament" for context.

7 October 2013: Deferred until the completion of agenda item 1.11. Chris was reminded of the dependence of this on item 1.11.

13 January 2014: Deferred until the completion of agenda item 1.11.

23 October 2014: No progress

22 January 2015: No progress

1 June 2015: No progress

Action required from: Chris

No. 1.12: African Oza Floating trophy

Pre-April 2013: Tournament portfolio to arrange engraving for Oza trophy, and send trophy to Victor

13 January 2014: Francois reported there had been no progress on this item.

14 July 2014: No progress.

23 October 2014: No progress

22 January 2015: No progress

1 June 2015: Resolved to get the trophies and abandon the engraving.

Action required from: Andrew

No. 1.13: Selection mechanism for SA Closed participants

Context for this agenda item in this email by Chris Welsh, as well as the rest of the thread.

15 July 2013: After some discussion, it was decided that we would be strict in requiring players to play in qualifying tournaments for the SA Closed in 2014. This stance should be communicated to the Go community by posting on the SAGoClubs website, and emailing the SAGA and various Go clubs' mailing lists, so that they are aware they must arrange qualifiers. The possibility of an online qualifier was raised, but issues were raised so that further investigation of this possibility is necessary before we can approve it.

7 October 2013: Francois reported he had not yet communicated the decision.

13 January 2014: Francois reported there had been no progress on this item. He hopes to include this with the 2014 calendar announcement.

9 April 2014: Francois sent out a reminder for clubs to arrange qualifiers for 2014.

10 April 2014: Steve emailed Francois to confirm whether that email was meant to address this action item completely or not.

14 July 2014: No progress.

23 October 2014: No progress

22 January 2015: No progress

1 June 2015: Some additional confusion caused by the desire for non CT and non Gauteng players to take part. No meaningful progress.

Action required from: Andrew

No. 2.14: Document Cape Town School Initiative progress

Document the progress we have made in Cape Town in terms of teaching schools and creating leagues.

23 October 2014: No progress

22 January 2015: No progress

1 June 2015: No progress. Would close next time if no progress

Action required from: Paul

No 3.14: Establish an Internet League

23 October 2014: Andrew to drive this item forward

22 January 2015: Andrew gathered input on the proposed format and consolidated the input into a formal proposal (one league tournament to replace two of the Internet events, taking half the available points). He would send out a final proposal shortly.

1 June 2015: League underway. Chris to drive allocation of index points.

Action required from: Chris

No 4.14: Log our tournament results with the EGD

23 October 2014: It was agreed that our tournaments should be logged with the EGD. Chris volunteered to liaise with Francois about setting up a system

22 January 2015: No progress

1 June 2015: No progress

Action required from: Chris

No 3.15: Publishing NPO documents on the site

We need to publish relevant NPO documents and document procedures

1 June 2015: No progress

Action required from: Chris and Andrew

1.xx Complete Tournament rules and how-to documents

7 October 2013: Francois said he has made some minor notes, but no notable progress

14 July 2014: No progress.

13 January 2014: Francois reported there had been no progress on this item.

23 October 2014: No progress

22 January 2015: No progress

1 June 2015: No progress

Action required from: Andrew

2.xx Update trophy engraving

Last known situation was that Francois would liaise with Paul Edwards to get Paul (Steyn/Edwards?) the names he needs to get trophy engraving up to date.

13 January 2014: Francois reported there had been no progress on this item.

14 July 2014: No progress.

23 October 2014: No progress

22 January 2015: No progress

1 June 2015: No progress

Action required from: Andrew

See also: SAGA Council agenda items archive

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Navigation
Tools